So here there we were 38 weeks in… and there’s no sign of out little #babymatylda coming out. We’ve had a scare or two or three or four throughout the pregnancy… the most recent being at 36 weeks where she was “too small” in the ultrasound. The doctor predicted she only weighed 2 kg which meant she was on the bottom of the 10th percentile… three ultrasounds later the consensus was that she was probably 2.5kg which made her tiny but in the norm.
She also became lazy around week 36, her kicks weren’t kicks that I felt before (which kept me up between 3 am and 7 am daily) and I could barely feel her move. Due to other mitigating factors ( thyroid issues and some genetic pre disposition that I still don’t fully understand) I would have to go to the hospital within week 38 anyway where the doctors would probably induce. SO… I decided that I would try to induce the “natural” way…
So without further delay… Here is what I tried. (Did it help? Who knows? When I arrived in the hospital at 38 weeks and 2 days I started having labour pains… – for my labour story click here).
- SEX … (MOM, please stop reading. DAD, I know you don’t read this blog anyway 😛 ) After about 45 minutes of pillow maneuvering and awkwardness we managed to try this “tried and true method”… Even if it didn’t immediately induce labour I suggest it as a great stress reliever. 😛
- Pineapple – NO ripe pineapple to be found in Warsaw and I figured the canned stuff was mostly sugar… SO MANY freshly squeezed pineapple juice bottles were bought and drank. THIS method was also pleasant and delicious!
- Stairs – I live on the third floor. Every time I went outside I took the stairs back. NOT so pleasant when you are carrying an extra 20kg of weight around… and exhausting.
- Walking – I’m a huge exercise buff. Before my pregnancy left me immobile on the couch dreaming of the time I would be running or going to my cross fit class or practicing yoga… In my second and third trimester I tried to walk about 5km a day. Slowly but daily. I figured my muscles needed some type of exercise and I felt great walking this distance. SO I walked a bit further week 38 but it was hard with the extra weight and the swelling and the bloating.
- Cleaning – my house was spotless. Not a spec of dust could be found anywhere. I even polished silver spoons… Everything was eerily clean.
- SPICY food – I love spicy food. I had heartburn throughout my entire pregnancy. You know what doesn’t help with heartburn? SPICY food 😦 BUT the day before labour I had spicy green curry at my favourite Thai restaurant… and it was delicious. I was also pleasantly surprised that I didn’t have heartburn that night (maybe the coconut milk in the curry helped soften the blow). My favourite Thai restaurant in Warsaw.
- Rubbing my belly. So this might be weird but I rubbed my belly my entire pregnancy. It felt great. I loved it. PLUS it made me feel closer to the baby. I felt like i was comforting her and many times I felt her kicks that way. PLUS I think even if you are not pregnant getting belly rubs feels great (especially after a large meal) ANYHOO, I heard that belly rubbing is suppose to induce labour. Who knew?
- At the hospital knowing that they would give me drugs to induce I decided to do lunges. This was hard and I did like 5 at a time… I stopped because my leg muscles were like, “what’s going here?”
SO this is what I did to help induce labour… What did you do? Did anything help you with getting induced?
I’d love to hear your comments and your feedback! Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog to be up to date on my posts 🙂